UFC officials have announced that legend, Diego Sanchez (27-11) will face UFC newcomer, Craig “The Thundercat” White (14-8) in a welterweight matchup. The two will do battle inside the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas for UFC 228, on September 8th.
It is fair to say, based on experience only, these two fighters are on the complete opposite sides of the UFC spectrum. Sanchez, a cast member on “The Ultimate Fighter 1,” has been competing in the UFC for more than 13 years. Now at 36, “The Nightmare” looks to break a two-fight losing streak after dropping back-to-back fights to Matt Brown and Al Iaquinta.
White, however, made his UFC debut only in May, when he stepped up on 12 days notice to face an in-form Neil Magny. The 28-year-old Englishman had emerged as a standout in the UK based Cage Warriors promotion before falling to Magny by first-round KO.
He understandably came up short in the contest, but now looks to impress with a full camp by taking out a UFC legend in Sanchez. Stylistically, this should be a fun scrap as both gentlemen have a dynamic striking style, and are not scared to put themselves in the way of danger to land.
UFC 228 is headlined by a double of UFC championship bouts as Tyron Woodley defends the welterweight title against Darren Till, and Nicco Montano seeks her first defence of the women’s flyweight title against Valentina Shevchenko.
The full card up to now is below:
- Tyron Woodley vs. Darren Till
- Nicco Montano vs. Valentina Shevchenko
- Yair Rodriguez vs. Zabit Magomedsharipov
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Jessica Andrade
- Carla Esparza vs. Tatiana Suarez
- Aljamain Sterling vs. Cody Stamann
- Jimmie Rivera vs. John Dodson
- Jim Miller vs. Alex White
- Ryan Benoit vs. Roberto Sanchez
- Charles Byrd vs. Darren Stewart
- Geoff Neal vs. Frank Camacho
- Diego Sanchez vs. Craig White