It is now confirmed that Thiago “Marreta” Santos (18-6) will move up to light heavyweight from middleweight to replace the injured Glover Teixeira against Jimi “Posterboy” Manuwa (17-4) in the main event at UFC Fight Night 137, Sao Paulo, Brazil on the 22nd September.
Santos, 34, will compete outside the 185-pound division for the first time in his UFC career with this fight, so it is a case of unknown territory for him, against a very dangerous opponent in Manuwa. The Brazilian has already fought three times in 2018 and is fresh off a unanimous-decision victory over Kevin Holland at UFC 227 this month. He said after the Holland win that a jump to light heavyweight was of interest to him, and he will now get the chance to make a huge impression should he take the “W” in his divisional debut.
Manuwa, 38, will hope to make a statement to right the recent bad run of form he has been experiencing. The English knockout artist has lost his past two bouts, most recently dropping a knockout loss to Volkan Oezdemir in a title eliminator, followed by a unanimous decision to Jan Blachowicz at UFC Fight Night 127.
The UFC Fight Night 137 card now packs a lot of punch, with the following fights confirmed up to now:
- Jimi Manuwa vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos
- Tonya Evinger vs. Ketlen Vieira
- Sam Alvey vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
- Neil Magny vs. Alex Oliveira
- Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Elias Theodorou
- Evan Dunham vs. Francisco Trinaldo
- Luis Henrique vs. Ryan Spann
- Renan Barao vs. Andre Ewell
- Sergio Moraes vs. Ben Saunders
- Thales Leites vs. Hector Lombard
- Belal Muhammad vs. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos
- Alex Chambers vs. Livia Renata Souza