It should come as no surprise that UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt isn’t exactly pleased to hear that former opponent Brock Lesnar will be awarded a shot at the UFC heavyweight championship when he makes his return to the Octagon.
Hunt and Lesnar fought at UFC 200 with the WWE star stepping in at short notice, avoiding the usual mandatory six months of USADA tests. On the night, Hunt was handed a unanimous decision loss which was later overturned to a no contest, with Lesnar being flagged for a failed drugs test.
Considering Hunt and the UFC still embroiled in legal proceedings following Lesnar’s last positive test, the decision to not only bring the former champion back, but to throw him straight into a “Money fight” with Daniel Cormier for the heavyweight title doesn’t sit well with ‘The Super Samoan’.
Speaking with Submission Radio earlier this week, Hunt didn’t hold back in explaining his frustrations.
“Well, why do we have ranking for?” Hunt asked. “And it is what it, is man. That’s not my call, that’s just the way it is. I think it’s s**t though.
“How’s that work? The motherf**ker’s a cheater. How is that controversy? F**king little c**t is f**king cheating, using steroids. F**k, man, how is that – [you’re] talking ‘a little bit of controversy?’ The f**king guy is cheating.”
“He’s cheating and trying to hurt me and you say, ‘oh, we’re going to be nice here’. F**k that cheater. How are you gonna be nice to the guy that is taking shortcuts, man? Don’t give him that. Why would you want to give him that sort of s**t? F**k, they don’t deserve it. You know, all these guys are just shortcut takers, and to me that’s all they’ll ever be. Nothing else.”
Despite the ongoing lawsuit, UFC President Dana White has made it clear that he is open to retaining Hunt’s services when his current contract expires. When it comes to making a choice regarding his fighting future, the promotions decision to bring back Lesnar seems likely to make the decision an easy one for Hunt.
“Like I said, I didn’t want a lawsuit or a court case against any of these (guys),” Hunt continued. “I said to Dana already about the s**t, you know, take that motherf**ker’s money off him. Don’t give it to me, just take it off the c**t so he doesn’t get nothing. But he wouldn’t have it, so that’s why we’re here now. And with this lawsuit, all I’ve been trying to do is make it an even playing field. It’s not even these guys, these guys are cheating flat out and they’re still getting these opportunities. Why? Honestly?
“I know the reason why, but f**k it. I’m not gonna sit around and play with them and get f**king injured. Like I said, I got injuries already from fighting from guys that have been cheating. And you’re never the same when you get injured like that. I mean, look at my hand. It’s broken, it’s got 16 screws in it. I’m not as strong in this hand. It just affects you, especially this body being my livelihood.”
The heavy handed Aussie has two fights left on his current UFC deal, the first of those coming on Saturday as he takes on Aleksei Oleinik in the main event of the promotions first visit to Moscow, Russia.
For his final fight of the contract and likely the final fight of his UFC career, Hunt is eyeing an opportunity a little closer to home.
“After this match I said to [my manager] Zen if can get a match on the Adelaide card or anywhere or get another match as soon as possible if I’m not injured and then go from there,” Hunt said. “I’d like to get a match if I’m not injured as soon as possible. And if it’s Adelaide, then so be it. Yeah, I look forward to it. It’d be great. . .
“It would be my last fight with the UFC. So, it’d be great. I don’t know about retiring per se. It’d be finishing from the big time. And, you know, I wanna fight three more times globally or four. We’ll see what happens for the division and chasing (the belt). That cut that dream off. So, you know, that’s how it works, but who knows?”
Check out the interview in full below.