“Don’t Sleep on This” is a new segment I’m going to pump out leading up to every card about a fighter and/or matchup that should not be missed (a/k/a slept on).
This weekend the UFC is back after the drama that unfolded 3 weeks ago at UFC 229. This is the promotion’s first time in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, and the fans there will get to see a main event involving two of the UFC‘s heaviest hitters. Former title challenger and #2 ranked Volkan ‘No Time’ Oezdemir will take on former middleweight and #10 ranked Anthony ‘Lionheart’ Smith.
Anthony Smith is a journeyman. With over 40 professional fights to his name, including bouts with promotions Strikeforce, Bellator, CFFC, RFA and others, Smith’s first stint with the UFC only lasted one fight. Smith found his way back to the UFC after going on 7-fight win streak and finishing 6 of those 7 opponents. Since returning, Smith has gone 6-2 with 5 finishes, taking out Ultimate Fighter winner Andrew Sanchez (which was a great comeback fight), former Bellator champ Hector Lombard and former champions and future HOF’ers Rashad Evans and Shogun Rua. Smith’s two fights at light heavyweight ended in the first round, and were devastating knockouts.
Volkan Oezdemir seems like he came out of nowhere when he was picked up by the UFC. A former kickboxer and Bellator fighter, Volkan made his debut last year and won a split decision against former title challenger Ovince Saint Preux. In his next fight, he stopped the hype train and 8-fight win streak of Misha Cirkunov and then dropped title contender Jimi Manuwa. Both of those fights ended in under a minute, which explains the nickname ‘No Time’. In January, Volkan challenged the champion Daniel Cormier, but was stopped in the 2nd round.
If you’re a betting man, count on this fight not making it to a second round. Smith has been more active, this will be his fourth fight this year and third fight in the last five months, while Volkan is nine months removed from his last fight due to Visa issues. Will ‘Lionheart’ keep his body count going or will Volkan finish him in ‘No Time’? Don’t blink.
UFC Moncton begins on UFC Fight Pass @ 6:30PM ET/3:30PM PT and continues with the prelims on Fox Sports 2 @ 8:00PM ET/5:00PM PT followed by the main card on Fox Sports 1 @ 10:00PM ET/7:00PM PT.
Sunday, July 22nd 2018, Barclaycard Arena in Hamburg, Germany
The UFC returns to Hamburg, Germany today for the first time since UFC Fight Night 93: Arlovski Vs. Barnett. Maurício ‘Shogun’ Rua, who could be fighting for a title shot according to Daniel Cormier, takes a three-fight win streak into a short notice fight against Anthony ‘Lionheart’ Smith. Smith is looking to crack into the rankings with a win after Shogun’s original opponent, Volkan Oezdemir, was pulled in favor of a bout at UFC 227.
Glover Teixeira is looking to pick up his second win in a row and keep his name in title shot contention with a win over Corey Anderson, who was also a short notice replacement after Ilir Latifi had to pull out with an injury. There are also some fun debuts on the card, including former WSOF fighter Abu Azaitar and former Cage Warriors featherweight champion Nad Narimani.
The early prelims kick off on UFC Fight Pass @ 10:30AM ET/7:30AM PT then move to FOX Sports 1 for the prelims @ 12:00PM ET/9:00AM PT and continue with the main card @ 2:00PM ET/11:00AM PT.
Full results below:
Main Card (FOX Sports 1 2:00PM ET/11:00AM PT)
- Light Heavyweight bout: Anthony Smith def. Maurício ‘Shogun’ Rua via KO (punches) (R1, 1:29)
- Light Heavyweight bout: Corey Anderson def. Glover Teixeira via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Middlewieght bout: Abu Azaitar def. Vitor Miranda via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Heavyweight bout: Marcin Tybura def. Stefan Struve via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Welterweight bout: Danny Roberts def. David Zawada via split decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Nasrat Haqparast def. Marc Diakiese via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1 12:00PM ET/9:00AM PT)
- Lightweight bout: Damir Hadzovic def. Nick Hein via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Welterweight bout: Bartosz Fabinski def. Emil Meek via unaniumous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Nad Narimani def. Khalid Taha via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Light Heavyweight bout: Aleksandar Rakic def. Justin Ledet via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-24, 30-24)
Early Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass 10:30AM ET/7:30AM PT)
- Bantamweight bout: Manny Bermudez def. Davey Grant via technical submission (triangle choke) (R1, 0:59)
- Light Heavyweight bout: Darko Stosic def. Jeremy Kimball via TKO (punches) (R1, 3:13)
- Bantamweight bout: Pingyuan Liu def. Damian Stasiak via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)