The Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship received a further bump in it’s already surging popularity when two former UFC fighters, Jason Knight and Artem Lobov, engaged in a recent twitter spat and through dialogue alone, sealed the deal for a Bare Knuckle fight in early April. I caught up with ‘The Kid’ to talk about the upcoming battle with Lobov along with a number of other exciting things coming up in his sights.
Following on from last night’s shocking scenes at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn, things have gone from bad to worse for Conor McGregor.
The Irishman has been charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief, per a statement released by the NYPD.
“McGregor has been charged with three counts of assault and one of criminal mischief,” said an NYPD spokesperson.
McGregor will go before a judge some time after 7am ET (12pm BST).
This development follows the news that three of the bouts scheduled for UFC 223 have been cancelled as a result of the incident. Injuries to both Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg forced the cancellation of their scheduled fights against Anthony Pettis and Brandon Moreno respectively. The third cancellation sees Artem Lobov pulled from the card due to his involvement in the chaos.
More to come.
After the day’s crazy events its been confirmed that no less than three of the fights from UFC 223 has been cancelled. It’s a sad day for the UFC and the fans of these fighters who had paid money to go and see them, only to have the opportunity snatched from them due to the events that took place in New York today. These are the fights that will not take place, and no replacements will be found due to the lack of time before the event this Saturday night.
The fight between Artem Lobov and Alex Caceres has been cancelled due to Lobov’s involvement in the attack at The Barclays Centre. Lobov was seen with the “Mcgregor Gang” which ran chaos inside the arena and attacked the bus which had many fighters on board.
Dana White just told reporters here in NYC that Artem Lobov is OFF the #UFC223 card on Saturday.
— Mike Bohn (@MikeBohnMMA) April 5, 2018
Michael Chiesa vs Anthony Pettis is the second fight off the card. Chiesa was cut after the window was put through on the bus he was on. After being taken to the hospital, Chiesa declared he was still eager to fight this Saturday but the New York State Athletic Commision declared him unfit to fight. Chiesa took to social media to declare his interest to still fight “Showtime”, and I’m sure the UFC will oblige under the circumstances.
A decision was made by the New York State Athletic Commission to pull me from UFC 223. I’m devastated to say the least. @Showtimepettis I hope to run this match up ASAP, June 9th in your backyard. That’s all I have to say for now. Much love.
— Michael Chiesa (@MikeMav22) April 6, 2018
Ray Borg vs Brandon Moreno is the final fight to be cancelled. Borg was also on board the bus that was attacked and also sustained a head injury. Despite not being cut, Borg was seemingly ok, but later was unable to close his eyes – it’s believed he has shards of glass in them. Borg was soon after pulled from the card leaving Moreno without an opponent. Neither fighter has spoken out on social media as of yet but I expect we will hear from them soon.
Ray Borg vs Brandon Moreno is canceled, sources say. Borg suffered an eye injury as a result of glass shattering. Cancelation first reported by @bokamotoESPN.
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) April 6, 2018
Everyone here at MMAMotion wishes all the fighters well and we hope that the fights that were meant to take place are rescheduled.
For more information on what happened, go to this article for video footage and tweets regarding the incident at The Barclays Centre
News: Choas in Brooklyn with #ConorMcGregor wanted for questioning by NYPD
— MMAMotion (@MMA_Motion) April 5, 2018
The build up to UFC 223 in Brooklyn has had it’s fair share of drama so far but nobody would have predicted the events which unfolded this evening.
Chaos erupted at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn as UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor stormed into the building with a large group of friends and attacked a bus carrying a number of fighters taking part in Saturdays PPV event.
McGregor and associates threw chairs, metal barriers and other objects at the bus, smashing one of the windows and injuring lightweight contender Michael Chiesa. Khabib Nurmagomedov and his manager Ali Abdelaziz were travelling on the bus and it would appear that they were the intended targets of the attack.
Multiple videos have appeared on social media showing the event as it unfolded.
UFC President Dana White spoke with MMAJunkie in the aftermath of the incident to share news on the victims of the attack and give his thoughts on the worst.
“What happened here today is Conor and approximately 20 guys apparently were let in through the doors by the Mac Life guys, who were credentialed here. They opened the doors for them… They stormed the building, got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting on the buses and started to attack the buses, throwing trash cans and dollies, and things like that.”
“[They] broke one of the windows and cut Michael Chiesa really bad. He cut his head, cut his face. Rose Namajunas apparently was almost hit. She’s super upset right now and basically left and walked back to the hotel.”
“This is the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company… There is a warrant out for Conor McGregor’s arrest, and they’re looking for him right now. His plane cannot take off. He cannot leave the state of New York… I’m assuming eventually if they don’t catch him, he’ll turn himself in.”
“You can imagine he’s going to be sued beyond belief. This was a real bad career move by him.”
White confirmed that Chiesa sustained multiple cuts and is currently in hospital receiving treatment, putting his planned fight with Anthony Pettis at risk. Following the incident, Chiesa’s coach Rich Little spoke with MMAJunkie and clarified his fighter’s status.
“Conor went bananas and put a beating on the van that we were in looking for Khabib,” Little said. “A million security guards had to restrain him. Mike’s cut up now. He’s got marks on him, for sure. I don’t think too serious. Everything happened so fast, it was just like we got jumped.”
McGregor’s long time friend and training partner Artem Lobov has been pulled from the card as a result of his involvement in the incident. Lobov had been slated to meet Alex Caceres on the preliminary card. There has been no word on whether the UFC are seeking a late replacement to keep Caceres on the card.
Following White’s interview with MMAJunkie, the NYPD issued a statement via PA Sport which explained that there was not a warrant out for McGregor’s arrest but the would like to speak with the Irishman in connection to an incident at the Barclay’s Centre earlier today.
A little less then on week away from UFC 223, top lightweight headliner Khabib Nurmagomedov appears to get into a heated confrontation with long time friend and teammate of Conor Mcgregor, Artem Lobov.
Could this be personal issues between the two? Is it possibly Artem sticking up for Conor in some way? Or is it Khabib trying to lure Conor into a fight in the near future? We will surely find out once someone that speaks Russian can provide translated subtitles to the video, as the pair seem to be arguing in their native language.
Take a look at the full video (courtesy of MMANYT) of the spat below and let us know what you think…