Colchester’s own James Webb registered the biggest win of his career in the main event of Cage Warriors 99 at the city’s Charter Hall venue on Saturday, November 17.
Webb came into the bout on a run of three consecutive rear-naked choke submission victories, but he showcased striking power against a noted knockout artist as he stunned Jason Radcliffe with a left hook that upset the Londoner’s equilibrium and forced him to the canvas.
Webb moved in to finish the fight and referee Rich Mitchell called a halt to the action at the 1:26 mark as Webb positioned himself for a possible run at the middleweight title in 2019.
In the night’s co-main event, “Capcom” Cory Tait made a winning return to Cage Warriors with a crushing body-shot TKO of Gavin Kelly in their bantamweight contest.
Tait’s last appearance in Cage Warriors came back in 2014 and the man known for his spectacular strikes went back to basics for his attention-grabbing finish, as he landed a perfectly-placed body shot to secure a first-round TKO finish.
Danish featherweight Mads Burnell was cracked hard by a powerful uppercut from Lukasz Rajewski early in their bout, but the submission ace showed great powers of recovery before taking over and finishing his opponent via rear-naked choke submission.
“Mr. Bag and Tag” Nathan Jones battled all the way to the scorecards with Cage Warriors veteran Brad Wheeler in their welterweight contest as he ran out a unanimous decision victory.
And in the opening bout of the night “Young Gun” Jamie Richardson survived a heel-hook attempt from Phil Wells before turning the tables and finishing his opponent with elbows for an impressive first-round TKO win.
The full card results are below:
- Jason Radcliffe vs James Webb (middleweight) via TKO (punch) after 1:26 of Round 1
- Cory Tait defeats Gavin Kelly via TKO (body shot) after 2:40 of Round 1
- Mads Burnell defeated Lukasz Rajewski via submission (rear-naked choke) after 3:23 of Round 1
- Nathan Jones defeated Brad Wheeler via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-27)
- Jamie Richardson defeated Phil Wells via TKO (elbows) after 4:40 of Round 1
- Mehdi “Iron” Ben Lakhdhar defeated Craig Edwards via TKO (knees and punches) after 3:02 of Round 1
- Steve Aimable defeated Josh Abraham via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-26)
- Eric Veyrier defeated Steve Riformato via TKO (punches) after 0:43 of Round 1 (Veyrier wins vacant Cage Warriors Academy South East Middleweight Title)
- Eduardo Gonzalez-Ayala defeated Gabriele Varesano via submission (armbar) after 1:26 of Round 1
- Chey Veal defeated Mik Pereira via submission (armbar) after 2:54 of Round 2
- Emanuele Palumbo defeated Kim Bravie via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28) (Palumbo wins vacant Cage Warriors Academy South East Lightweight Title)
- Ian Garry defeated Guolaugar Einarsson via TKO (punches) after 2:37 of Round 1