News: Francis Ngannou “hurt” by Dana White’s comments regarding his ego – wants Junior dos Santos next

There can be no denying Francis Ngannou appeared to be a shell of his former self when he faced Derrick Lewis at UFC 226. One person who wasn’t shy in putting forth his opinion was UFC president Dana White.

Speaking after the fight, an obviously frustrated White explained he felt that Ngannou had bought into his own hype and that his “ego was out of control”.

“He had a pretty quick rise here, and obviously the fight over Alistair Overeem catapulted him, everybody was talking about him,” White said. “I thought he was going to be the next guy. I think his ego ran away with him big-time. I can tell you that his ego absolutely did run away with him. And the minute that happens to you in the fight game, you see what happens. You start to fall apart. I had some personal encounters with him, as did other people in the organization, and this guy’s ego just was so out of control.”

Speaking to Ariel Helwani earlier today, Ngannou addressed Dana’s comments, explaining that he felt hurt by the accusations and doesn’t feel his ego is a problem.

“If someone has an issue with you and doesn’t tell you, how would you (react) – if you haven’t seen him or talked with (him)?” Ngannou said. “If you have an issue, tell me.

“We are all human. I don’t necessarily agree I have an ego. I’m never one to stay down when I fell down. You have to have that ego when you’re a fighter. You have to stand there and believe you’re No. 1. That’s ego. But not the one to hurt the people around me.”

This of course isn’t the first time White has erupted in the heat of the moment following a disappointing performance from one of his fighters. In the past, these rants have often been followed by some form of communication to help clear the air and keep things moving. Ngannou however, claims he hasn’t heard anything at all from the UFC boss.

“We haven’t spoke together,” Ngannou said. “I don’t know why. If he had something to say, he would tell me.”

The wrath of the UFC president is usually temporary and it will likely only take one or two glimpses of the old Francis Ngannou for his dire performance against Lewis to be forgotten. Speaking about who he would like to face next, Ngannou has a name in mind.

“I have no injuries,” Ngannou said. “This year I want to fight. Who I want to fight, exactly? I was supposed to fight Junior almost a year, 10 months ago. He just came back. Great win. So, maybe that one.”

The prospect of the 31-year-old facing Dos Santos is an interesting one. The two were set to fight prior to Junior’s brush with USADA late last year and it would be fair to say that things have changed substantially since then. When the fight was initially announced, many felt Dos Santos was being fed to the wolves, with Ngannou having built a nine fight win streak with his last three fights all being first round KO wins. The Cameroonian had an aura of invincibility which was only strengthened when he dramatically snatched the soul of Alistair Overeem at UFC 218.

Today however, Ngannou appears vulnerable, having been badly exposed by Stipe Miocic in his first attempt at capturing the heavyweight championship followed by an extremely lackluster performance in the UFC 226 co-main event against Lewis.

Time will tell if he is going to be able to find his mojo again but facing another aging veteran in Dos Santos may be just the fight he needs to be able to get that spark back.

UFC 226 Results: Miocic vs. Cormier

Saturday July 7th, T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada – The pinnacle of UFC International Fight Week is here, with arguably the strongest card of the year. MMAMotion will be providing you with all of the live results and play by plays on Twitter should you decide not to go ahead with the PPV.

Continue reading “UFC 226 Results: Miocic vs. Cormier”

UFC International Fight Week Special: The top 5 alternative fights that will likely bring violence

With UFC International Fight Week well and truly here, fans around the world are gearing up for an action packed weekend of top-class MMA. Friday showcases The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) season 27 Finale, where we will see the newest addition to the UFC roster crowned, followed by the hugely anticipated UFC 226 on Saturday where arguably the first “Superfight” will actually come to fruition – two top-tier champions from the upper echelon of the UFC weight classes meet to see who is the baddest man on the planet. Daniel Cormier, the current light heavyweight champ will look to cement himself in the UFC history books by taking the heavyweight strap from dominant Stipe Miocic. 

Continue reading “UFC International Fight Week Special: The top 5 alternative fights that will likely bring violence”

Opinion: Pre-Fight Analysis – Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega

With Max Holloway set to defend the UFC featherweight title against Brian Ortega this weekend, it’s time to take an in depth look at how the two stars match up.

For my fight analysis, I’ll cover a multitude of variables for each fighter and how they’ll clash, while trying to avoid putting you to sleep while I do it.

Continue reading “Opinion: Pre-Fight Analysis – Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega”

UFC Breaking News: Yair vs Zabit Magomedsharipov in talks for UFC 228

 

The former UFC featherweight Yair “El Pantera” Rodriguez  is now in talks to figh #12 ranked featherweight Zabit Magomedsharipov at UFC 228 later in September.

Earlier this month, Rodriguez was released from the UFC by Dana White after a spat regarding a fight offer with Zabit. However, as per ESPN’s Brett Okamoto, it appears Yair has done a U-turn, and is back in discussions:

Dana White cut The 25-year-old Mexican prospect after refusing consecutive fight offers.

The news follows reports that Combate Americas, a one time suitor of Rodriguez following his alleged release by the UFC, have withdrawn their contract offer to the young star.

A Combate Americas executive revealed to MMAMotion that they had indeed withdrawn their offer, amid concerns that Rodriguez wasn’t committed to signing with them.

We withdrew the offer to Yair last week.  We felt we made a great offer.  However, if we are going to make an investment in any talent, we feel that the talent should be 100% committed to Combate Americas.  In this case, Yair’s representative was taking what we felt was a prolonged period of time to make any kind of decision, so we felt it was in our best interest to move on.

More on this news as it develops.